Hardly anyone believed the grand coalition to be able to do that: a real program of the future that will advance the transport and energy transition. Germany should become greener and fairer – a comment
In the new economic package worth 130 billion euros, electric cars will be subsidized, significantly more than previously planned, but there is no subsidy for diesel and petrol engines.
- There will also be a subsidy of 6,000 euros for smaller electric cars.
- There is further funding for manufacturers and suppliers of electric cars. ·
- Two and a half billion euros will be invested in the expansion of e-charging stations.
- There is a lot of money for the railway to compensate for the Corona-related failures and another two and a half billion euros for the expansion of local public transport.
- In 2020 and 2021, green electricity will be subsidized by the federal budget.
- The expansion of offshore wind energy will be driven forward more than before – by 2040 it should be 40 gigawatts.
- The building renovation program will also be increased to 2.5 billion euros.
Breakthrough for electric cars
What the Groko has now decided is nothing short of a breakthrough for electromobility. Already in the last quarter of 2019, the purchase of electric cars had risen to five percent across the EU. Who still buys a diesel or gasoline car after the grants have been decided, if they don’t get any financial incentive to do so, but are burdened with an old dirt sling, which is harmful to the environment, climate and health?
If the electric car wants to play its ecological advantage, the electricity must of course be much more ecological than it is today. Germany has only 52% green electricity this summer. The rest comes from dirty coal, lignite and nuclear power plants.
90% of the buildings in Germany still have no solar systems. And wind energy meets with resistance from citizens. It is therefore right that the Federal Government wants to have around 40 gigawatts of wind energy at sea by 2040. Offshore wind power is more expensive, but the “citizen disruptive factor” is eliminated.
The electric car only really drives ecologically if it is operated 100% with green electricity.
The new government package for the future made it clear that the many suggestions from the environmental and eco-energy associations were heard. Large parts of the Union parties originally wanted to promote the old car production. However, if the state has to take a lot of money into its hands due to the corona crisis, then please build a greener economy than before. That is why it is right and important that future technologies are primarily promoted now.
With the temporary reduction of VAT from 19% to 16%, social compensation is also planned for the less fortunate. The federal government’s new and huge investment program is greener and fairer than previously thought.